Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Preparing for Christmas

We are almost half way through Advent, that is shocking to me because I haven't even got an advent calendar! I'm blaming Fred for making me so dis-organised. I do somehow have all my Christmas gifts prepared (yes I am gloating a little).

Advent is important to me and many other Christians because it reminds us to prepare spiritually for Jesus coming to earth again, it is also lovely that it ties in with the run up to the celebration of Christ's birth. 

Advent for me is an essential part of Christmas, without advent and the reminder that we are living in expectation of what is to come, Christmas becomes a hollow, food and drink fueled present fest. 

Don't get me wrong I LOVE food (especially Christmas food, Christmas Cake is so good! I can eat a ton of Marzipan and roasted vegetables though not together), drink (sadly I won't be able to drink much this year because of breast feeding but I am going to have a couple of glasses of mulled wine - the drink of Christmas Champions) and presents (I LOVE opening presents! and giving presents, it makes me happy). But Christmas is much MUCH better when it has meaning, and is less self centered.

My Husband, Jamie, for every day of Advent is tweeting a way that we can prepare for and celebrate Christmas that is less selfish and will bless others; because realigning ourselves with God and his plan for us means we are more concerned about being a blessing to other people; over and above our own personal gain. 

You can follow his tweets with the Hash tag #ChristmasRhythms or you can check out the Tearfund Rhythms website. HERE As well as Jamie's tweets they have many ideas of ways to make Christmas more special and less consumer driven. All good things if you ask me.

I don't often do serious posts. but so many bloggers are blogging about gift ideas and festive makes and I don't feel I have anything to add to that strand of conversation. I feel so often we get wrapped up in the physical preparations that we forget to stop and remember what its all about.

Thanks for reading. Just because no blog post is complete with a photo of Fred here is the two of us in our accidentally matching Christmas outfits. (I was very embarrassed)


No comments:

Post a Comment