Pages

Friday 10 January 2014

My aims for 2014

So much happened last year;

 It started in Cambodia where I managed to complete two of my 30 before 30 goals. In 2013 I managed to complete 7 of these goals, but many of them were relatively small.
 Experiencing a different culture and having a baby were definitely not small! I really enjoyed documenting my pregnancy here on my blog. It is already really good for me to look back on!




This Year...

This year started off very differently, I had an early night on New Years eve because I was tired and knew I would have to get up at least twice to feed Fred.

Fred is obviously a massive factor in my plans for the year ahead. We aren't able to go on a big holiday to New York (it is looking extremely unlikely that we will be able to afford it before I'm 30, let alone buying a house. I think I will have to re-think some of my list!) We are planning a few exciting things for this year, even if they aren't big or expensive they will hopefully be enjoyable and I may even be able to cross off some more of my 30 before 30 list.

The things we already have planned...

We have just booked to go on the Harry potter studios tour in a couple of weeks. I cannot wait! It is our Christmas present to each other - yes we are big Harry Potter geeks :)

In February we are going to visit our friends Jane and Greg (the same ones we visited in Cambodia) they now live in Yorkshire.

In March I'm hoping to go to Cake International in Manchester because I LOVE Mary Berry almost as much as I love baking! (Check out the Giant Jaffa Cake I made for Jamie's birthday- I was very proud)



At some point over Easter we are going to get Fred Dedicated. It is an alternative to a Christening. We will promise in front of our Friends, Family and Church family to bring Fred up prayerfully (like carefully but with Gods help!) with a knowledge of God and the sacrifice Jesus has made for him. But we are essentially leaving it up to him to decide if he would like to get Baptised when he is old enough to make an informed decision for himself.

In the summer Jamie along with a few other youth workers always takes a group of Chester young people to a youth Christian festival called Soul Survivor. It is definitely one of the highlights of the year. Jamie wouldn't let me go last year because I was big, pregnant and extra moany. We are going this year and taking Fred! It could be interesting, but to help us prepare we are going to do a camping test run at some point in the spring.

We are hoping our summer holiday will involve staying in a beach hut somewhere near Portsmouth (as you can tell we totally have that planned!). As well as spending a good amount of time with Fred's Grandparents.

In the Autumn are all three of our birthdays and our wedding anniversary. We don't know yet if we will have much of a party of Fred's birthday. Being only one he probably won't understand what's going on will he?!

I can't currently think further then that. 

At some point I will be going back to work, and our life will change quite dramatically. I'm thankful that I only work 3 days a week. I think it will still be difficult to balance child care and both mine and Jamie's jobs. We both work some evenings and weekends and without family around to look after Fred, if we both have to work on a weekend it could be potentially problematic!

30 before 30 aims...

As I said last year I managed to achieve 7 of my 30 before 30 aims. This year ideally I should achieve a similar amount. But I don't think it is going to happen. The ones I would like to achieve are:

        * Learn to cook a good roast ( I may enlist my Dads help with this one as he cooks the best roasts EVER)

        * Give up meat for a month ( This could be difficult if I'm still breastfeeding, although with good planning and a balanced diet it should be fine!)

         *Enter a baking competition

         * Make a dress

         * Run in a 5 or 10k race (this one is reliant on my foot not playing up, I hurt it trying to do long jump on concrete wearing inappropriate shoes about 2 years ago. It was a stupid thing to do!)

Other aims for the year ahead:

     *Do baby lead weaning once Fred is 6 months old. (I will be following Red Head Baby Led's BLW series with interest)
     *Knit at least 3 pairs of socks- I am a third of the way through my 1st sock of the year :)


Make more of the presents I give people. I am going to follow the example of The fatty Crafter and embrace my crafting side more.

My big challenge for the year:

Only buy clothes second hand or from eco friendly/ fair trade sources (I am not including a new swimming costume in this challenge).
I am already a fan of charity shops, and I buy a few select pieces from People Tree every now and again. Fast fashion and waste are something I have been trying not to indulge in for a while. This challenge should spur me on to hopefully change my shopping habits for good.

The year ahead is already looking busy and exciting! Do you have a big challenge that you will be taking on this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment